Friday, September 7, 2012

His snoring... her crib, and other random sleep issues.

Remember this? Or maybe this? Well, how about this one then?

Yes, we are still having bed time sleep issues. Not all of them are because of the baby... but some are.

It's true, going to bed these days is not how I always envisioned putting my daughter to sleep. I HAD pictured carrying her to her room, turning down her lights, placing her in her crib/bed and letting her quickly drift off to sleep. HA! What drugs was I taking? The problem is, I know it can happen that way... I just don't know how to make it happen. I absolutely refuse to let her "cry it out"... and everything else just seems to only kind of help. The one thing I had said I was going to do in those previous entries I linked that I have not really done is get a good bedtime routine together for her... I am going to have to do that... no matter how much of a pain it may be in the short term, I know in around a month, it will come in very handy.

Last night, I fear I got a glimpse of the future - minus the new baby. Here is a brief synopsis: From 9 to 10 pm we watched the season premiere of "24", and then by 10:30 we gave my daughter her night time bottle... so at about 11:00 pm I started rocking her to sleep (which has become a necessity if I want to put her in her crib after she dozes off) and by 11:15 she, and my husband were snoring away. So I gently put her in her crib... that is still located right next to my bed. That should have been the end of it... right? Now, I have heard stories of babies who will sleep through a mother vacuuming under their crib... my daughter is not one of those babies. She seems to have gotten her mother's ability to awaken at the slightest sound of a pin drop, a half a house away. My husband, on the other hand - could sleep through an earthquake, tornado, and hurricane all wrapped in one. He has developed a major snoring problem... at least, it's a problem for me. So, just as I was about to make my escape to go brush my teeth and get MYSELF ready for bed, he lets out a loud snore... and startles the baby awake. A little while later I had her calm again... and still in her crib, and the cat decided to hiss at the other cat, jarring her awake yet again. This sort of thing went on until midnight.

Now, when we have the new baby here... (due date of November 27th rapidly approaching) what's going to happen when, my daughter's crib is in her room, and I am trying to get her to sleep, and the new baby starts to cry, or needs something. Will my husband just snore through that too?

See, this entry is really about two different issues... I need to get my daughter sleeping earlier, and better in her crib... because she ends up in my bed sometime during the night every night anyway. But I can't do that, until I am sleeping better myself, because I need the patience to work her back to sleep when she wakes up, instead of just being so darn tired that I give up and bring her into my bed.

That brings me to my next issue. My husband has become impossible to sleep beside. All my complaining about going to bed last night... you thought my problems ended at midnight, didn't you? Nope - they continued. First off, for years I have been griping about the dog on the bed, and for years my husband has had some reason or another to insist he is allowed on the bed "he keeps my feet warm" etc. So it's at the point now where the darn dog just insists on getting on the bed. No matter how loud I yell... but this is a problem, because he gets up on my husband's side of the bed, and then starts to stretch, and so my husband squeezes me in. I am so sick of being kicked all night long by him because the dog is taking up his room. Then there is his snoring. His snoring has gotten out of control, and when I try to get him to turn over or something so it's at least more quiet, he bitches and moans and tells me I am hurting him when I poke him and he gets nasty. And it's not even worth it anymore because within 5 mins or so he has turned back over anyway...

Anyway, I really don't know where I am going with all this - but it felt good to get it out anyway. The beginning of next week we are going to have to move my daughter's crib back into her room. So, I will then get even less sleep at night, and have more to stress about. That's just what I need.

Hopefully some of this "overwhelmed" feeling I have been carrying around will alleviate itself on Friday. I am going to go get several things we have been needing for my hospital bag that I should pack any day now, and I am going to get some things to have the house more "ready" for the new baby... whenever he decides to make his appearance.

Sorry for all the rambling. I guess it's just one of those days.


10.29.2003
12:52 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment